A layover is a time you have to wait in the airport between flights while you wait for that next plane to pick you up. Layovers are inevitable. You have to wait. You can’t skip the layover in your Airbnb and hope to have a smooth stay. While you are stuck in the airport, you can use the time as an opportunity to relax and recharge. Layovers aren’t all bad. They can be fun and restful if you know how to make the most of them.
Well, if you are stuck right now or in the future, here are the following ways that you can try in making the most of your layover:
- Treat yourself to the comfort food that you have been trying to avoid. As the time for your layover grows nearer, it may be hard to stay away from the comfort foods that you have been avoiding for so long, such as eating a snack out of convenience stores in the airport.
- Engage in the local cuisine. While most are excited about taking their next vacation to somewhere like the Casa de Campo luxury golf resort in the Dominican Republic, many of us are looking forward to the layovers that will take us from point A to point B. For many, this is the only downtime we get in between a task or two, and for a good reason – it allows us to explore the local culture and make the most of our travels.
- Book accommodation to your transfer hotel. If you’re not sure what to do with your time while waiting for your flight to board, spend it on an airport hotel. Rather than being a place where you stay for a night, most airports now have hotel-like facilities where you can book a room for a few days or even weeks at a time. The hotel might be a hotel, an apartment, or a hostel, depending on the city.
- Tour yourself around the city. Always seem to be stuck in a different city with a layover? Here’s one way to make the most of your time: Spend a few hours exploring your destination-whether it’s a place you’ve been or a place you’re visiting for the first time. You can combine sightseeing with some retail therapy or hit the museums while your flight is delayed. And don’t forget to pack some souvenirs, take home some local mementos, and make new friends.
- Record this layover journey in your journal. A layover can be a boring time and a boring place. However, there is always a way to make it more interesting. You don’t need to vent your frustrations and anger or socialize with strangers in order to make the most of your layover. You can do it by taking a note or two about your experience by writing about it for your journal blog.
- Order your favourite drink at the nearby café. If you are traveling and have an extra hour or two to kill before your flight, you can make the most of it by finding a local, cozy café to relax, have a drink, and have something to eat. Doing this before your flight may help you avoid an uncomfortable wait in the airport and be more relaxed on your way home.
- Call your friend. It’s a good idea to get out of your hotel room and explore the areas where you’re staying before you jet off home. So, pick up the phone and call a friend-it’s a great way to make the most of your layover, especially if you don’t have any plans for the time.
- Organize your thoughts by reviewing all the photos taken during the trip. Before traveling, it is a great idea to organize all the memories that you want to take with you on this trip, rather than just relying on your memory to recall everything. That is why it is important that you plan everything carefully, including when you will fly and where you want to go.
Being stuck at an airport for a few hours can be a drag, but it doesn’t have to be. An airport is a great place to do a few things you don’t do in your normal life: exercise, make new friends, read a book, or even play a game. There are plenty of options to pass the time, and even if you don’t have time to do them, it’s a great way to appreciate your layover.